Wednesday 12 March 2014

Why the Timing is Perfect

The stars seem to be aligning when it comes to this trip. As I mentioned, I will be graduating from Health Sciences in April this year and then I will be going back to school for Nursing come September 2014. This 6 week trip will be a nice relaxing break from school and work before I start my Nursing career that I may have for the rest of my life.

Graduation 2014 Picture

When planning which countries we wanted to travel on this trip, there were a number of factors that influenced our decision. We wanted to visit countries that are more hip and geared towards younger people because some countries, such as England, France, and Greece, can always be visited when you are older and have more sufficient funds.

Speaking of money, we did choose to visit some of the countries because they were cheaper but also because they are less touristy countries and Jess and I are both explorers who just want to walk around and get lost so that we can find the beautiful hidden churches, cafes and other cultural and historical gems that most tourists don't bother to find and see.

Finally, we wanted to go to the places where we have family ties or connections through friends. Jessica has family in Budapest and my godmother's family also came from Budapest (I will be meeting and staying with some of her relatives while we are there) so that city holds a lot of significance and familial connections for us.
Parliament Building in Budapest, Hungary
My grandmother is from the Netherlands. I have family I can visit
and stay with while we are there, many of whom I will be meeting
for the first time. I have already started to practice some Dutch words
for when we go and I am bringing a DVD I made for my grandparents
50th wedding anniversary with me to give to my Tante Wies.

Amalifi Coast, Italy
Centrum Hotel in Maastricht, Netherlands

My Aunt and Uncle are renting a villa on the Amalfi Coast in Italy and have offered for us to stay with them for a few nights, which is an amazing opportunity that I may never get again!

The Sea Organ in Zadar, Croatia


Jessica's brother used to work at a hostel in Croatia for many years so we may stay there when we visit Zadar. 

Cologne, Germany

Also, our mutual friend Aaron is doing an exchange for school in Cologne, Germany so we will definitely make it a priority to stay with him for a couple of days so that we can spend some time with our good friend and possibly have the opportunity to travel together on another continent!