Saturday 8 March 2014

"Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend" - Theophrastus

Time is very valuable and in my heart I know that quote is the truest of all, but as a student in debt who will be doing more schooling and going into more debt, I must look at the budget portion of my dream vacation. Right now, money is still important as it allows me to go to school, get a good job and eventually make enough money so that all I have to worry about is how and where I am going to spend my valuable time. Money is just a necessary evil that allows me to do what I truly love, which is travelling.

Transportation:

Toronto to Budapest, then Amsterdam to Toronto = $1285.34
Travel insurance = $51.84
Eurail Global Pass = $700
Flight from Madrid to Berlin = $100
Roundtrip bus from Split to Zadar = $30
Roundtrip flight from Barcelona to Ibiza = $65

Total = $2232.18 rounded up to $2250

Accommodations (hostels):

Budapest 3 nights @ $10/night = $30
Split 3 nights @ $20/night = $60
Zadar 3 nights @ $20/night = $60
Pisa 2 nights @ $25/night = $50
Nice 2 nights @ $35/night = 70
Barcelona 4 nights @ $15/night = $60
Ibiza 2 nights @ $45/night = $90
Madrid 4 nights @ $15/night = $60
Berlin 5 nights @ $15/night = $75
Amsterdam 4 nights @ 40/night = $160

Total = $715

Food and Drinks
42 days x $30/day = $1260

Other (activities, taxi rides, etc.)
$300

Grand total = $4525

* We are also looking into possibly couchsurfing our way across Europe, which means that we could stay on someone's couch for free and repay them in non-monetary gestures, such as bringing a gift, cooking a meal or teaching a skill. Sometimes if you are lucky, they even take the time to show you around the neighbourhood and bring you to the best local establishments. This could significantly decrease our grand total to $3810 and increase the amount of authentic cultural experiences we get to participate in.