Tuesday 11 March 2014

Time to Pack

So as I mentioned before we will be backpacking through European countries, but we won't be pitching tents and sleeping in sleeping bags. We have decided to stay at hostels throughout our adventure but we will still be carrying our backpacks everyday so we have to consider what we will be packing in them. I’m used to bringing every outfit and cosmetic product possible with me when I’ve traveled before, which will definitely not be an option on this trip! We will be taking only the bare essentials with us, so I will have to get used to not having everything I might want with me. I have started to think of a list of things to pack now so I can fine tune it as we get closer to July.

My backpack will consist of:
- toiletries (lip balm, small perfume, q-tips, deodorant, small package of Kleenex, lotion, makeup, mousse, shampoo, conditioner, roll of toilet paper, small package of wet wipes, toothbrush and toothpaste, sunscreen)
- a pair of waterproof sandals and a pair of running shoes
- 7 outfits for summer (one for everyday of the week that can be washed for the next week)
- a pair of long pants, one long sleeved shirt and one sweater
- socks and underwear
- a waterproof windbreaker
- a large multipurpose sarong

- sunglasses
- bathing suit
- a towel
- some instant oatmeal packets and granola bars
- cloth headbands

- a water bottle with built in water filter
- camera and phone
- first aid kit and medications
- money pouch for around my waist
- some Ziploc bags for when we get tired of eating at restaurants and want to buy food from the grocery store. We can prepare the food at our hostel and put leftovers in Ziploc bags for the next day
- my passport and any other documentation plus photocopies of everything important
- money, debit and credit cards, driver's license, ISIC card
- Campsuds Detergent, which is an all-purpose cleaner from Mountain Equipment Co-op that can be used on your body or clothing so I can do my laundry in the sink
- sleeping bag liner, which are pretty tiny and will give me peace of mind no matter where we end up sleeping (this is my first time not staying in hotels after all)
- international plug adapter
- a cable or wire lock, which is a padlock with an added cable that can be looped through your bag to secure it to a bed or railing when sleeping
- earplugs and eye mask
- deck of cards and some dice
- a smaller bag or purse for walking around during the day

Wow that is a full bag! If this ends up being too much or too heavy to carry around, I can always leave some things at home and buy what I need en route, which won't be hard to find in touristy areas.